Warning! Prepare for everything. Duck and cover if necessary.
- A Rolex watch or a fancy car in a bad neighborhood. I am not the basis for a ridiculous victim-blaming metaphor based on theft. I am a person, not an object.
- Your sister or daughter or wife. I exist independently of my relationships with and importance to men. It is not wrong that I was sexually assaulted because I am someone’s daughter. It’s wrong because I am a human being.
- To blame. I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t want it. It doesn’t matter what I wore or if I was intoxicated or if I flirted. I never wanted this. No one ever would.
- A punchline. Rape is not a joke. Rape is not funny. If you think it is funny, it’s probably because you’re a rapist.
- Impure. I am not worthless or dirty or sullied. The person who did this to me is.
- An opportunity to play devil’s advocate. The devil has enough advocates. They’re called 90% of our society, and they’ve already said every single thing your puny, unimaginative brain could possibly think of.
- Going to be silenced. Not by my abuser, and not by you or anyone else.
- drake hit on nicki minaj and claimed he fell in love with her when they first met and invited her to get food with him and later on in the day he showed up at her door with food she took it and slammed the door in his face
- nicki minaj called out steven tyler for making a racist comment and wouldn’t let it go until he publicly apologized to her
- nicki minaj makes sure that when her younger relatives listen to her music that they listen to the clean version
- when eminem used a homophobic slur in her song she was incredibly uncomfortable about it and spoke to several people in her music team about what she should do about it
- she literally tried to give her fans instructions on how to make brownies on twitter
- I REALLY LOVE NICKI MINAJ
A study into whether physical activity alleviates the symptoms of depression has found there is no benefit.
Research published in the British Medical Journal suggests that adding a physical activity intervention to usual care did not reduce symptoms of depression more than usual care alone.
This contrasts with current clinical guidance which recommends exercise to help those suffering from the mental illness, which affects one in six adults in Britain at any one time.
I thought this was true and all - fuck yeah, randomised controlled trials!
i’m waiting for the study that proves that yoga at sunrise actually makes depression worse
Jane H. Hill, The Everyday Language of White Racism (via wretchedoftheearth)
This is like when me and my white soon-to-be husband were looking for places. I’d call up and they’d say, “Come on down! Get an application!”. Because I don’t “sound” black.
Then I’d walk in 2 minutes later and they’d be all, “Oh. Sorry, we just rented it.”
Then I’d send him in and he’d get an application.
The best part? Walking back in while he was completing the application. “Oh, they gave you an application? But they told me it was just rented. ODD. THAT. I’m going to report them so let’s just skip this place, m’kay?” The looks on their faces and the pathetic apologies were just too much fun.
Used to deal with the same thing with road trips. Hotels would tell me that there were no vacancies, but my white roommate would go in and get us a room, usually cheaper than advertised.
I do similar stuff at restauants and other places of business with my white bf. At least it makes it easier to know where not to go!
Reblogging again for the commentary
But we’re just supposed to *trust* and think everything is an *isolated* incident.
Not so sophisticated scholars, were they? I mean this really, really shouldn’t be all that surprising.
It shouldn’t be surprising, but I guarantee that most white people find it unbelievable
I’m going to reblog this every time I see it on my dash. My parents pointed out how this phenomenon worked when we were moving to PA (they’d get steered to crummier neighborhoods and have to insist on being shown others). Housing discrimination is still pretty widespread and the gatekeepers? Tend to either intentionally or due to unchecked bias reinforce the status quo.
It always floors me the things people are surprised at. Meanwhile, every person of color is sitting here like, “Oh. Must be another day that ends in Y, and in other news, water is wet.” Like, really, people are surprised by this, and whenever they show surprise at learning stuff that we go through, I have to poker face, lest I end up giving them the most disbelieving side eye in history because how do you NOT know this? But then, you know. Some people have the privilege of being able to be unaware it because it’s not a problem they have to deal with. :/ (via lori-jaye)